Five commonly forgotten but important things to do before moving.
No matter how careful you are, there are some things that people very often forget about when they’re moving out of their current house. Here are five of the most important things not to forget:
1. Turn off your utilities. There’s nothing worse than getting a bill from the gas company about your old home a month after you move. Make a list of all your utilities and have them all shut off and transferred to your new home.
2. Forward your mail. You should also leave the buyer your forwarding address because otherwise, for the first six months to a year, some things may not get forwarded, and you could miss important mail.
“Don’t forget to do these five things before you move.”
3. Check hidden storage areas. Attics and the like are often storage areas we forget to check. Make sure you gather all your belongings from there before you move.
4. Leave warranties and manuals. It’s a nice gesture to the buyer to leave behind the warranties and manuals for the appliances and systems in the house.
5. Raid the pantry. There are often all kinds of things in the pantry and freezer that have been forgotten. Start cooking and get rid of them in the next month, or you’re going to be throwing them in the trash.
Moving is never easy, but hopefully these tips will make it just a little easier. If you’re thinking about buying or selling, or if you have any questions, give us a call or send us an email. We’re always happy to help.